Since its beginnings a century ago, Monopoly has been played over a billion times. The first version came from Elizabeth Magie and was known as The Landlord's Game. However, constant refinements over the years made it what it is today.
Some argue that Magie’s version was never given due credit for being the prototype of the idea. The Parker Brother's model has since been known as the original and trademarked as the only true monopoly board created.
- Monopoly has been around the board game for over a century, dating back to 1903 when the first model was made.
- The first attempt at a monopoly board game was by Elizabeth Magie in 1903 – 1094. Her version was The Landlord's Game, which was designed to show the consequences of economic rent and land value taxation.
- Charles Darrow was credited with the creation of the first current model of the monopoly board, however, claims that he was the sole creator were dismissed in 1970.
- The first monopoly boards were made out of wood.
- Mr. Monopoly’s real name is Rich Uncle Pennybags.
- The longest running Monopoly game lasted for 70 straight days.
- In 2007, a Monopoly board was sent to space.