On this day in 1975, the movie Jaws made its debut. No one has ever made so many people afraid of going into the water the way Steven Spielberg did with this film, which portrays the narrative of a big white and extremely aggressive shark that terrorizes beachgoers at a New England resort.
Here are some fun facts about Jaws you may not have known.
- Filming for this film took place on Martha's Vineyard in Massachusetts.
- Until 1977, Jaws was the highest-grossing motion picture in film history until it was bested by Star Wars.
- It was released on June 20, 1975. However, the storyline came before that. Jaws is based on Peter Benchley’s 1974 novel with the same name.
- The budget for the film was $9 million. Their box office totals reached over $470 million.
- The mechanically powered shark used for the film was named “Bruce,” after Spielberg’s lawyer.
- Although the movie centers around shark attacks, the villain doesn’t appear on the screen until one hour and 21 minutes into the movie.
- The famous line “You’re gonna need a bigger boat” was ad libbed. It was a saying that was used throughout the set when problems came up. Roy Scheider threw the phrase in a few places during filming, but it really seemed to stick in this scene.
- Spielberg was worried that his lengthy production timeline and overspending would ruin his directing career. How wrong he was!
JAWS is my favorite movie!! Saw it when it 1st came out.
Jaws was the best movie ever